Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) - Benefits, Uses, Side Effects, and More
Vitamin C also known as ascorbic acid is one of the safest & most effective nutrients, Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin. This means this vitamin can’t store as it dissolves in water & is delivered to the body’s tissues however isn’t well stored, so it should be taken daily through food or supplements. Good sources of Vitamin C include fresh fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits.
Vitamin C & Health
Vitamin C is an important substance required to develop & function your body properly. There’s an important role of antioxidants, as research has found the vitamin to neutralize free radical molecules. Vitamin C is also involved in the body’s immune system by improving the activity of WBC (white blood cells). It is recommended to get vitamin C from the diet rather than taking vitamin c supplements. Citrus Fruits. Raw citrus fruits are very high in vitamin C, such as oranges and orange juice, peppers, strawberries, blackcurrants, broccoli, etc
Basically, vitamin C was used for treating scurvy.
The Health Benefits of Vitamin C
The benefits of vitamin C may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling, there are some other important functions are :
- Vitamin C Stimulates Collagen Synthesis for Skin Aging. Vitamin C affects cells on the inside & outside of the body and its antioxidant properties are beneficial when it comes to aging skin. It found that a higher intake of vitamin C was associated with a lower likelihood of a wrinkled appearance, dryness of the skin, & a better skin-aging appearance. In addition, topical treatments of Vitamin C help to reduce wrinkles
- It Plays a Role in Enhanced Brain Function – Stroke.
- Its Antioxidant Properties Help Guard Against Chronic Disease – As research has found the vitamin to neutralize free radical molecules, which in excess can damage cells.
- Vitamin C strengthens your immune system, stamina, and energy.
- Vitamin C for Eyes Teeth & gums – Vitamin C is an excellent vitamin for teeth and gums. It helps to keep the connective tissues in the gums healthy and strong, which hold your teeth in place. Proper intake of vitamin C can prevent bleeding gums and several other gum diseases.
- Stress. A deficiency in vitamin C is associated with many stress-related diseases. It’s the first nutrient to be depleted in alcoholics, smokers, & obese individuals. And because vitamin C is one of the nutrients sensitive to stress, Moyad says maintaining levels of vitamin C can be an ideal marker for overall health.
Vitamin C also plays a role in controlling infections & healing wounds, as Its antioxidant property can neutralize harmful free radicals. It is needed to make collagen, a fibrous protein in connective tissue that is weaved throughout various systems in the body: nervous, immune, bone, cartilage, blood, and others. This vitamin C can make several hormones & chemical messengers used in the brain & nerves.
Other studies have suggested that vitamin C may also:
- Improve macular degeneration.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease
How much vitamin C do I need?
Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body, so you need it in your diet every day. The tolerable upper intake level (or the maximum amount you can take in a day that likely won’t cause harm) is 2000 mg a daily for adults.
What are the Side Effects if I take too much vitamin C?
Vitamin C is not stored in the body (excess amounts are excreted), so overdose is not a concern. But it’s still important not to exceed the safe upper limit of 2,000 milligrams a day to avoid stomach upset & diarrhea. In some people, vitamin C might cause side effects such as :
- Stomach pain
It is suggested not to take excess vitamins, because taking excess Vitamin C daily is possibly unsafe and may cause kidney stones.
Why Should you choose BioC?
Bionutrica’s BioC Vitamin C Effervescent Tablets provide the perfect dose of immunity supplement for skin and gut health in a single serve. There are several different types of vitamin C supplements available on the Market. It can be difficult to select the option that is best for you. Most nutritionists advise Bionutrica’s BioC because it contains the proper amount of Vitamin C (1000 mg) to support many other functions of the body.